Your support is critical to our success.
A Schick Hybrid. ISI 98-7; HBG 81759, Schick 1641-48. It is a very floriferous cultivar.
Origin and Habitat: Garden origin (A distictive cultivar created by cacti enthusiast and hybridiser Bob Schick )
Description: This cultivar is the result of more than 20 years of devoted work by cacti enthusiast and hybridiser Bob Schick .
Stem: Spherical, up to 9 cm across, freely pupping.
Spines: Central spine up to 14 mm long.
Flower: Up to 11.5 cm across.
Tepals: Slender obovate bicolored tannish-orange and pink with darker pink midrib.
Throat-circle: Light Yellow.
Subspecies, varieties, forms and cultivars of plants belonging to the Echinopsis hybrid (Schick Hybrids) group
- Echinopsis cv. Anastasia: has delicate bicoloured white with lilac-pink flowers, with a brighter pink midrib on outer petals.
- Echinopsis cv. Beautiful Dreamer: has apricot or salmon pink flowers outer tepals pinkish with a purple-violet mid-line.
- Echinopsis cv. Candlelight: has small to medium sized bicolored blooms (up to 9 cm across) sand yellow and pure yellow.
- Echinopsis cv. Cassandra: has two-toned blooms up to 11/12 cm across. Bright purple/red whit a light orange midrib.
- Echinopsis cv. Coquette: has bright yellow, fragrant blooms, up to 11(-12) cm across, but usually less than 10 cm.
- Echinopsis cv. Crepe Crusader: light magenta with cream-colored to light orange basal stripe and dark pinkish-red midrib.
- Echinopsis cv. Daydream: has bicolored blooms, Up to 11.5 cm across, tannish-orange and pink with darker pink midrib.
- Echinopsis cv. Don Juan: has bicoloured blooms, deep purple with a deep red base and midrib, outer tepals largely red.
- Echinopsis cv. Eclipse: flowers up to 11 cm across, pinkish-red with a lighter midrib. Outer tepals yellow and project beyond the darker inners.
- Echinopsis cv. Eddie: has delicate pink blooms with fine pink outer margin, light pinkish-red basal stripe and salmon-pink darker midrib.
- Echinopsis cv. Edwardian Lady: has bicolored purplish-pink and white flowers with narrow bright yellow basal stripe. Up to 12 cm across.
- Echinopsis cv. Elegant Lady: Flowers white, with outer tepals projecting beyond inners, bicolored white and light pinkish-purple.
- Echinopsis cv. Eroica: Flowers up to 10,5 cm cm across, rich pink with darker midrib and paler margin.
- Echinopsis cv. Galaxy: flowers white with prominent purplish-pink basal stripe and midrib.
- Echinopsis cv. Gossamer: flowers light lavender-pink with darker midrib and a small rounded white area at base.
- Echinopsis cv. Hot Lips: flowers dark scarlet about 10-11cm across.
- Echinopsis cv. Icarus: flowers pale pastel yellow with bright yellow midrib.
- Echinopsis cv. Intrigue: Flowers dark red tinted purple with an orange midrib. Outer tepals pale tawny-colored.
- Echinopsis cv. Jealousy: flowers bright to pastel yellow. Sepaloids pinkish-purple longer than tepals.
- Echinopsis cv. Lochinvar: flowers lavender-pink with darker midrib.
- Echinopsis cv. Madame Pele: flowers bicoloured flowers up to 10/12 cm across, dark vermilion with bright paler magenta margin.
- Echinopsis cv. Maria Piazza: has large sized flowers up to 15 cm across, rich purplish-pink with dark pinkish-red midrib.
- Echinopsis cv. Maria Piazza f. cristasta: Crested form.
- Echinopsis cv. Monet: flowers bicolored pastel magenta to dusky purplish-red and bronzy-orange. Outer tepals paler than inners.
- Echinopsis cv. Princess Anne: flowers pale pink with a white base the midrib may be slightly deeper pink.
- Echinopsis cv. Romance: flowers dark velvety pink with narrow pale purplish-pink margins and dark reddish-pink midrib.
- Echinopsis cv. Samantha Smith: blooms are about 12 cm in diameter, ruffled, yellowish-orange.
- Echinopsis cv. Sierra Skyline: Up to 14 cm across prominently fringed apricot to salmon. Outers mainly light purplish-pink.
- Echinopsis cv. Sorceress: flowers bicolored mainly deep magenta with thin, dark bronzy-orange or deep red basal stripe and midrib.
- Echinopsis cv. Spring Blush: flowers beige-pink with white to yellow basal stripe and pink midrib.
- Echinopsis cv. Spring Symphony: flowers light purplish-pink with darker midrib, a white margin and yellow to ivory-coloured basal stripe.
- Echinopsis cv. Syncopation: petals subequal, dark pinkish-purple, with darker reddish midrib.
- Echinopsis cv. Temptress: blooms are about 11 cm across, dark satiny fuchsia with deep red at base.
- Echinopsis cv. Träumerei: blooms large, up to 13 cm in diameter pastel orange suffused with magenta, midrib light yellow/amber.
- Echinopsis cv. Windigo: Bicolored magenta and bronzy orange to bright red with paler midrib.
Bibliography: Major references and further lectures
1) John N. Trager "Huntington Botanical Gardens" online: http://www.huntington.org/BotanicalDiv/Schick/hybrids/daydream.html retrieved on 03-11-2013
Echinopsis cv. Daydream Photo by: Valentino Vallicelli
Echinopsis cv. Daydream Photo by: Cactus Art
Echinopsis cv. Daydream Photo by: Cactus Art
The gallery now contains thousands of pictures, however it is possible to do even more. We are, of course, seeking photos of species not yet shown in the gallery but not only that, we are also looking for better pictures than those already present. Read More...
Cultivation and Propagation: This plant is a summer grower species that offers no cultivation difficulties. Water regularly in summer (but do not overwater ) needs good drainage and very porous soil, keep rather dry in winter. Feed with a high potassium fertilizer in summer. Need a bright exposure, full sun or half shade in summer if the location is exceedingly hot or bright.
|Back to Echinopsis index|
|Back to Cactaceae index|
|Back to Cacti Encyclopedia index|